Thursday, June 23, 2011

Cover of the Day : Gotham City Sirens #12

I suppose I should clarify. The gorgeous image you will see below is what was supposed to be the cover to Gotham City Sirens #12. Guillem March does not go into detail about why this cover was abandoned in favor of an image featuring Catwoman and Harley Quinn. But if you go to his blog you will see the preliminary sketches for this concept.

To the right is the cover that was actually used. While not bad I can't help but question why they *slighted Poison Ivy. Actually - after skimming through the book it's about one third Ivy and the rest is devoted to Catwoman's arc. (I'll give them that.) Remember that during this period Poison Ivy went under cover as Dr. Paula Irving at S.T.A.R. Labs to get her hands on rare plant samples. Naturally. But, like I said, this particular issue barely touched on Poison Ivy's story beyond her breaking free from Alisa's cage. Don't know what I'm talking about? Well then read the book! Forewarning - the art style tends to jump back and forth during this multi-issue storyline. Some is quite bad but I'll let you figure out what I'm talking about. Ahem.

Now about that cover. I don't know why I always feel compelled to defend March and his style. I suppose it's because one thing I've learned over the last few years (since he first hit) is that a certain contingent of comic book readers quickly dismiss his style as exploitive. It's certainly sensual at times but I don't think it's out of line. He's no Jim Balent (thankfully). The following piece is a perfect example of his ability to mix technical skill and sex appeal.


There she is - Poison Ivy posing as Dr. Paula Irving getting up to no good. I love the effect of her skin not being completely flesh toned as she turns away. So defiant! That sneer is one for the record books too. The detail given to all the lab equipment is pretty much amazing. I admire an artist who can draw without changing the weight of his or her lines. Maybe next time Dr. Irving. Also, don't worry, I won't be adding this much commentary to every Cover of the Day post. (Ha!)

*Allow me to slip into a conspiracy theorist head space for a moment. Fans of a certain character - let's just say she's a jewel thief - were incensed that Poison Ivy was often placed in the middle (or that she often took up more cover space than the other Sirens). But this wasn't true. I suspect there was enough noise to refocus the marketing of this title. Hence this cover never seeing print.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...